CDI Corporation is seeking a Project Engineer to work at our client site in Donaldsonville, LA. This is a full-time, benefited, longer-term opportunity.
Job Summary: Develop and manage capital projects for the Donaldsonville facility. This work includes, but may not be limited to: facilitating scope development of capital projects, compiling estimates based on developed scope, preparing Authorization For Expenditures (AFEs) for requesting capital funds, facilitating detailed engineering, following Management of Change (MOC) protocol, preparation of request for bid packages, evaluating proposals, requisitioning materials, writing and planning work orders as necessary, execution of project scope utilizing in-house labor or outside construction contractors, and tracking overall project costs and schedule. Informal and formal feedback on project status is to be provided to supervision as necessary.
- Define project scope, prepare accurate cost estimates and execution schedules and prepare Authorization For Expenditure (AFE) documentation which is timely, properly conveys the project’s objectives and is well written.
- Budget, design or coordinate design, and manage installation of economically designed, safe, and effective modifications and upgrades to the facility within the allowable schedule. The project engineer should contract outside engineering and/or construction management resources as necessary.
- Execute approved projects within 10% of approved budgets. Responsible for preparation of Project Variation Requests (PVR) if budgets are under or overrun. Responsible for preparation of Scope Change Requests (SCR) should project needs deviate from the approved scope.
- Incorporate the applicable requirements of the site EHS program into project design scopes and continually evaluate ways to make the site run safer.
- Prepare bid packages for procurement of outside equipment and services, evaluate bids received, and make award recommendations.
- Personally, review construction documentation prepared by outside engineering firms and vendors for compliance with project specs, constructability, and operability. Must also be able to work with and solicit comments from other groups within the organization.
- Effectively communicate project status and progress vs schedule and budget targets to management.
- Coordinate with operations, maintenance, safety, and environmental departments to ensure the project safely meets the end user’s needs and are in compliance with all laws/regulations.
- Strive to improve own skills that add value to both themselves and the company.
- Manage capital projects ranging from $10K to $50MM.
- Typical project durations range from 1 month to 2-1/2 years (depending on if plant outage required).
- Project status reporting is expected on a monthly basis.
- Understands and complies with established departmental processes and procedures designed to support internal controls efforts. Identifies and brings to the attention of department management internal controls deficiencies. Understands and complies with procurement department policies and processes.
Job Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Engineering from ABET accredited university required. Mechanical or chemical degree preferred but open to Civil or Electrical with the right experience.
- 10+ years of engineering related experience in the oil, gas, or chemical manufacturing industry preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with capital project development and/or execution required.
- 5+ years of in-plant experience, whether permanent or periodic temporary assignment.
- A high degree of personal responsibility for assigned project safety, cost, and schedule performance.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) required. Must be able to effectively communicate and interact with personnel of all backgrounds and be able to manage changing circumstances as plant outages move.
- Strong management skills required, including team leading, decision making, and prioritizing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software. Familiar with Primavera, ICARUS, and or equivalent scheduling and estimating software.
- Must be able to acquire TWIC.
- Ability and willingness to climb stairs, ladders, and otherwise work in an outdoor chemical plant environment as needed to monitor project construction progress on a frequent basis
- The ability to prove drug and alcohol free at random or for cause.
CDI Corporation is an EEO/An Affirmative Action M/F/D/V Employer.