Company: CDI Engineering Solutions
Title: Sr. Mechanical Engineer/Department Manager
Start Date: 4th Quarter - 2019
Location: Charleston, WV
The Department Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, assigning and directing engineering and design resources for discipline-specific assignments. Provides support to Project Managers to ensure the project’s defined goals and objectives are accomplished within the prescribed timeframe and funding parameters. Duties shall include the administration of assigned personnel within the discipline engineering group, the review and interpretation of client RFPs, development of discipline man-hour estimates and staffing plans, the development and application of work processes designed to ensure the quality of deliverables, the professional development of discipline personnel, and the administration of the discipline salary structure.
Experienced Sr. Mechanical Engineer needed to work with CDI Team in Charleston, WV Site, performing general Mechanical and Piping Engineering tasks.
• Manage and lead a team of Mechanical and Piping Engineers. Plan workload and provide technical oversight.
• Research, develop, and design various types of equipment and piping components.
• Work up purchase specifications for equipment and components.
• Perform calculations and evaluations of various equipment and piping systems.
•Must be excellent communicator capable of estimating and scheduling engineering man hours and resolving multidiscipline problems.
•Working experience with the chemical, gas and/or petroleum industry.
•Working experience with Pressure Vessel design (ASME), tank design (API) and/or Rotating equipment design.
•Working experience with Pressure Piping and Pipe Stress Analysis.
•Must have working knowledge of applicable Codes.
• 15+ years of industry experience in either Chemical, Petroleum or Gas.
• BSME Required, PE Preferred
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
Emphasize a continuous awareness of personal and design safety in the execution of daily task assignments by all discipline personnel. Ensure that individual work habits and methods, as they affect personal and design safety, are addressed as part of personnel performance reviews.
•Work with CDI and Client Safety Professionals to ensure that all discipline personnel assigned to Client sites are thoroughly oriented to, and trained in, the site-specific safety requirements.
• Provide technical engineering / design leadership in all areas of the specific discipline.
• Encourage the identification and development of technically sound and economically feasible alternative solutions to Client problems.
• Ensure that company requirements for the quality of processes and products are satisfied as part of all daily task assignments. Develop and maintain an expectation of quality as an essential element of project success.
• Solicit independent feedback on discipline engineer’s and designer’s work products. Develop and implement corrective actions where appropriate.
• Lead or assist in the development of discipline-specific processes, procedures and practices to enhance CDI’s execution of project activities and deliverables. Implement these tools, pending their approval by Management.
• Ensure that project-assigned discipline personnel support field assignments as required to meet project objectives.
• Support the preparation of business proposals for future work, through personal assistance or by the assignment of qualified discipline personnel.
• Support the development of Project Procedure Manuals and Project Execution Plans.
• Support the development of Risk Mitigation and Margin Enhancement Plans.
• Ensure discipline personnel compliance with all CDI Engineering Solutions’ operating guidelines and standards.
• Assign personnel and / or training resources as necessary to complete engineering and project assignments. Recruit additional personnel as required to support the business plan.
• Establish the discipline organization, roles and responsibilities
• Emphasize customer satisfaction and overall project results as the true measure of success on project assignments. Develop and communicate an expectation for inter-disciplinary cooperation and support in the execution of projects.
• Review personnel regularly to assess the progress of development and to establish training requirements.
• Support Operation’s business development activities and participate in sales presentations as necessary
• Coach and mentor assigned discipline personnel in the use of CDI procedures, guidelines and policies.
• Have a working knowledge and understanding of the principles of project cost control. Ensure that all discipline personnel assigned to positions of responsibility on individual projects have a similar level of understanding. Perform periodic audits of discipline-specific project cost control efforts, and implement corrective actions as required.
• Develop, maintain and apply standards for quick, discipline-specific budget estimates.
• Assist the Lead Discipline Representative on any project in the development of the relationships among the disciplines, the Client and the Project Manager to ensure an environment for mutual success.
• Develop self and direct reports for the purpose of succession planning.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Individuals must have the ability to read and comprehend Business Development documents (e.g. Invitations to Bid, Requests for Proposal, Requests For Quote, etc.), project management documents (e.g. Scopes of Work, Project Execution Plans, Cost and Status Reports, Estimates, etc.) safety documents (e.g. safety plans, Safe Plans of Action, Safety Manuals, etc.), discipline-specific vendor documents, instructions, Client or CDI correspondence, and memos. And, the ability to clearly and concisely write project management documents (e.g. Scopes of Work, Project Execution Plans, Status Reports, etc.), personnel management documents (e.g. performance reviews, corrective action plans etc.), safety documents (e.g. safety plans) and correspondence (e.g. letters, memos, and e-mails)
In-depth understanding of the interdependence and relationship between various Project Management, Engineering and Design disciplines is required.
Advanced knowledge of engineering technology, codes, standards, etc. (ASCE 7, AISC, ACI and API design codes).
PE License Required
CDI Corporation is an EEO/An Affirmative Action M/F/D/V Employer
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.