CDI Engineering Solutions is seeking an Instrumentation Engineer who will be responsible for a wide range of assigned activities which include scope definition for capital projects, execution of routine design and engineering to address problems and improve site operation, providing technical support to the I&E Maintenance Department, and providing support to Operations personnel. Work should be completed independently utilizing internal and external resources, including a contract E&I design staff, to provide solutions meeting stakeholder needs and consistent with departmental and site philosophy. This is full-time, benefits position. Duration: 1-2 year, possible direct hire.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Support Operations and Maintenance to commission, test, investigate, diagnose, and/or repair instrument and electrical equipment per individual task, project, or turnaround.
- Generate drawings in AutoCAD (loop drawings, logic diagrams, etc), technical specifications, and scope descriptions and/or utilize in-house designers to do the same to document jobs to allow for field implementation.
- Develop control loop narratives, loop diagrams, specification sheets, and installation guidelines to integrate new instrumentation systems or equipment with existing control systems.
- Perform primary and end element sizing, thermowell design analysis, and ensure installed equipment complies with the facility’s electrical area classification requirements.
- Assist with multi-discipline alarm management efforts, including alarm rationalization, prioritization, development of state based alarm schemes, and design/modification of alarm systems.
- Ensure designs meet plant specifications, standards, requirements and design codes. Ensures designs are technically correct, and implementation is performed in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
- Support the engineering department’s responsibility for maintaining up to date piping and instrumentation drawings (P&IDs).
- Ensure documentation is generated in a timely fashion according to individual task, project, or turnaround schedule.
- Work with stakeholders to identify improvements needed to E&I infrastructure to improve site safety and/or reliability and work toward obtaining approval to execute.
- Support Project Engineering by defining the detailed project scope needed to prepare funding requests and later during execution of capital projects.
- Ensure third party engineering contractors E&I work is compliant with code, will function correctly and reliably, is properly documented, and meets internal expectations.
- Maintain open and ongoing communication with supervision and Project Engineering on status and progress of work on assigned projects.
- Maintain / Develop technical expertise in related areas (e.g. process instrumentation, analyzers, control systems, safety instrumented systems, etc.).
- Execute work with contract in-house design team, develop their capabilities, and provide feedback to supervision on design team performance.
Job Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Electrical preferred
- 3-years of experience in a control system engineering, instrumentation engineering, or electrical engineering role in the petrochemical/chemical industry.
- Experience creating detailed E&I drawings in AutoCAD.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) required. Must be able to effectively communicate and interact with personnel of all backgrounds.
CDI Corporation is an EEO/An Affirmative Action M/F/D/V Employer.