CDI Corporation is seeking a Process Engineer to work at our customer site in Beaumont, TX. The successful candidate will provide daily support and input to monitor, measure, optimization and improve the production process. This is a full-time, benefited position.
Job responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Daily Monitoring- Ensure compliance with Environmental permits, ensure reliable operation and on-spec product, search for problems that could prevent the ability to maintain capacity, and review production results and operator logs daily
- Troubleshooting- Identifying and correcting potential problems
- Root cause analysis to eliminate repeat deviations and failures
- Engineering calculations- Calculate pressure drops, size piping for small projects, perform heat/material balances, size/rate heat exchangers, calculate fluid properties, determine system volumes/residence times
- Update spreadsheet for material balances and provide recommendations to correct mass/volume balance discrepancies.
- Communicate recommendations to Operations on: Following safe work practices, maintaining quality, complying with environmental permits, ensuring reliable operation, Operating parameters, maintaining capacity, and increasing profitability.
- Support turnaround/maintenance activities such as: Chemical cleaning supervision, vessel inspection, shutdown/startup coverage, including revision/development of operating procedures, sample procurement, and recommendations for maintenance (exchanger cleaning, screen cleaning, etc.)
- Issue or contribute to Daily Operating Instructions for Operations
- Maintain Availability/reliability tracking sheets
- Cover operations Manager position during absences
- Provide operations training for supervisors, technicians, and newly hired employees in conjunction with Training Coordinator.
- Support environmental department with emissions calculations and permit renewal
- Supply data to customers
- Assist groups with capital project design and installation
- Understand, support, and comply, with all plant safety policies and procedures, including the use of loss control software
- Initiate MOCs, and lead/participate in Process Hazards Analysis, PSSR, HAZOP, LOPA, Track PHA/LOPA findings
- Majority of job functions are performed in an office environment.
- Many startup and support functions are conducted in the manufacturing environment with chemical, physical and electrical hazards.
- Work may be performed in manufacturing areas with adequate ventilation and lighting.
- Work may require use of protective clothing and equipment.
- Work may be performed around hazardous substances.
- Scheduled hours may vary in shifts and length.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate and below OSHA threshold levels.
- Subject to outdoor weather conditions.
- Provide technical support to operations; coordinate R&D, or any other group that needs unit information. Troubleshoot, monitor performance, and provide recommendations to improve safety, profitability, and reliability of unit operations.
Job qualifications & skills:
- Process Hazards Analysis, PSSR, HAZOP, LOPA
- 3+ years chemical engineering experience in the petrochemical or refining industry
- Chemical Engineering knowledge: heat transfer, mass transfer, fluid operations, heat/material balances, chemistry, physics
- Computer knowledge: use of spreadsheets (i.e. Excel), DCS control data historians (i.e. PI Process book), and be able to understand new systems as they come (i.e. SAP)
- Basic chemical engineering fundamental
- Good problem solving skills
- Good physical fitness required for access on/into towers, vessels, and other equipment
- Minimal travel requirements
- Work nights during turnarounds or other special circumstances where 24-hour technical coverage is needed
- Interpersonal and communication skills required for interaction with every group in the facility at one time or another and with vendors.
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering
CDI Corporation is an EEO/An Affirmative Action M/F/D/V Employer.